Saturday, May 17, 2008

I Want an Elitist President.

I'm confused by all the "elitist" criticism of the Presidential candidates. Isn't it time we voted for an "elitist"? Don't we deserve an elitist?

The person I want leading this country is definitely NOT one of the friends I hung around with in college. Don't get me wrong. They were great. It's just that I wouldn't trust them to lead a country. And I'm sure they'd feel the same way about me.

I want a President who is thinking six steps ahead of his rival in Foreign Policy matters. I want a President who connects the dots with respect to cause and effect. Someone who has the vision (unpopular or not) to make longer term decisions and to effectively communicate why we're heading in that direction.

I want a meticulous planner, a brilliant strategist, a uniter, a Mensa level scholar, a brilliant communicator and motivator, a historian, a psychologist. The challenges facing us right now demand that we bring to bear the best and brightest minds in the country. These people aren't everyday, average citizens.

They operate in the intellectual stratosphere. The are among the "elite".

Dictionary.com describes "elite" as "the choice or best of anything, considered collectively".

Those who argue that we should write off any candidate who is considered "elite" are advocating for mediocrity. Perhaps it's because the best candidate from the accusatory group is just average. Perhaps they don't understand the meaning of the word "elite".

Maybe some of us aren't comfortable around smart people.

Get over it.

Would you take advice (or a prescription) from a physician with an Internet "degree", who was working out of his car and who couldn't put a sentence together? Or would you prefer being attended to by an articulate, compassionate doctor with several degrees from a prestigious medical school, operating from a meticulous office?

I like "elite". I trust "elite".

I want to vote for someone I'd like to have a beer with. BUT, I would expect that same person would never be caught dead having a beer with me. They'd have more important things to do.

No comments: