Tuesday, January 22, 2008

LinkedOUT

Late last week I noticed that I had inadvertently created two accounts at the popular business networking site LinkedIn.

One was a very old account I had created at a former employer just to try out the service and had forgotten about. I had long abandoned that account (it only had 3 contacts).

About a year ago I created a new account, where I cultivated loads of contacts and even got four or five recommendations from colleagues. Over the past year I've recognized the benefits of building up an electronic network and LinkedIn was my preferred provider.

And so to clean up the two accounts, I sent an email to LinkedIn customer service (the ONLY way they can be contacted) and requested that my old account be deleted. LinkedIn doesn't allow you to manage (delete or merge) your accounts. They have to do it for you.

You can guess what they did.

That's right. Instead of deleting the old account, they deleted the new one. All my contact information lost. All my recommendations gone.

They never sent any verification email - is this the right account? They just deleted it.

I had a bad feeling about the request from the beginning. I had sent the email request from my active account (because my old account was created using a (now) obsolete email address). I specifically mentioned that I wanted the account with all the contacts KEPT and the one with the three contacts deleted.

And so now I get to see whether LinkedIN can recover my data.

Until then, I'm LinkedOUT.

2 comments:

jaymac92 said...

I just went through the exact same thing, but I immediately regretted my decision and sent follow up emails to disregard the request.

In case they delete my account, what happened with yours?

Thanks in advance.

David Winter said...

@jaymac92
Unfortunately, nothing yet. I've sent customer service several emails and haven't received any response. I KNOW they can restore accounts (read it on another blog) but they haven't been very responsive as yet.

I'm caught in account hell. I have a pending request to restore my previous account and a pending request to delete my obsolete one.

So unless LinkedIN responds, my only option is to start all over with a third account! (I'm reluctant to update my obsolete one in case they finally act on my request!)