Saturday, April 21, 2007

I don't get BudTV!

In case you missed it (and you probably did), Budweiser launched a very slick internet based "TV Network" called BudTV. Initially it attracted 500,000 "viewers" but its popularity seems to be waning.... fast.

I love innovation and send kudos to anyone who tries something different, but I have to admit that I just don't get it. To me, they haven't addressed the main question, "Why should I care?"

Once you get past the registration process (they seem to be very concerned that you're over 21 before entering), they offer a very slick video experience with short (2-6 minute) "snippets" of "shows" designed for the 21-35 year old crowd.

While it has been decades since I've been in their target demographic, it seems to me that Bud TV has several major challenges.

First, Generation M has way too many choices, that are more accessible than logging into Bud TV. Why go to BudTV for six minute behind the scene of a Bud NASCAR driver, when there's the racing channel? Why tune in to watch BudTV video, when there's YouTube?

Secondly, launching a network means trying to hold my attention with entirely new content. That's an uphill climb.

Clearly Budweiser has spent a ton of money on this website. If it were me and I wanted to attract a large 20 something audience, I'd program the following:

1. Bill Maher's "New Rules" segments with 5 new rules each week or pay to host the "Overtime" segment.
2. Jon Stewart's "best opening monolog of the week" or better yet, 5 minutes of new, exclusive programming from the Daily Show.
3. A BudTV exclusive segment of Stephen Colbert's "The Word" segment.
4. Music video "exclusive previews" from up and coming stars (or established ones, if possible)
5. "Behind the Album" artist interview segments
6. Concert/Movie reviews with Adrianna Costa (CNN Headline News Entertainment reporter)
7. Exclusive access to a "Bud" Woot-off, featuring Bud swag
8. Family Guy, South Park, American Dad clips featuring Bud beer....

...for a start...

By aggregating known content, Bud would have a much easier time attracting 20 somethings AND keeping them coming back...

Secondly, Budweiser needs to find a way to create a two way dialog with their customers. BudTV is an "old" one way conversation, just delivered over a different medium. Find a way to engage the audience ("live" ask Jon Stewart segment, post your Bud Video, post pictures and a story from the last NASCAR race you attended, etc, etc..)

But the bigger question is:
Assuming that all my ideas worked, now that you have the 20 somethings engaged, how are you going to sell them Budweiser beer? Coupons in boxes of beer to be "redeemed" on the website?

I haven't figured that out yet.

No comments: