Thursday, April 05, 2007

Will Web 2.0 Change Politics?

That's the question I've been asking myself recently. I've signed up to a number of campaign websites just to observe how campaigns are using the Web to energize each politician's support base. Obama sends me emails monthly and makes it very easy to host, find and attend "house parties" in my neighborhood, to discuss his campaign platform and build support.

In my view this is a tremendous marketing and organizing tool. In 3 months he's raised virtually the same amount of cash as his primary rival who is better known, better connected and has the advantage of an ex-President husband for fundraising.

Of most interest to me is the number of contributors. Raising $25 million across a far wider (double the base) of Hillary's contributors must surely translate into broader support (more votes) at the polling station.

Another recent example of Web 2.0 technology in action is the candidates use of MySpace and YouTube. Just yesterday, I saw Newt Gingrich clarifying remarks he made with respect to his views of English as the "official" language in the U.S.. In the old days he would have had to make the talk show circuit to get his message out (and be exposed to potential bias of the interviewers). Now politicians can quickly craft their own messages, in their own words and distribute it for free to an awaiting internet public.

John McCain has his own MySpace account. His campaign is going through a bit of a learning curve with respect to internet etiquette. His campaign used a MySpace template without proper accreditation, and was subjected to a graffiti attack.

It's clear to me that candidates resonance with the younger voter will in some part be measured by their internet savvy. McCain's campaign is going through a steep learning curve, Obama's seems to be more "at home", with Web 2.0.

I wonder how this will affect the "traditional media buys" that accompany every election? Will it help level the playing field in future elections? Ten years from now, will campaigns be run entirely over the internet? Probably not. But it would be interesting nonetheless.

1 comment:

Tanner said...

I'm really interested in a lot of these same issues. In fact, I'm writing my senior thesis at Bard College right now about "weird Internet user politics," and I'm doing research through my website (http://inewsproject.com). If you'd be interested, I'd really like to talk to you about this stuff more. I have a survey up at http://inewsproject.com/survey as well. Thanks, Tanner.