Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Call Me Old Fashioned.....

Today, in my email was a friendly reminder from Plaxo, to select and queue my e-Christmas Cards for just in time delivery.

I understand the appeal of a service like this - first, it's FREE. Second, it's fast.

Its drawback of course is that it's lacking in sincerity. I have spent most of my life in technology and I can't think of any friends or colleagues who use e-cards.

I think people appreciate the effort made to send season's greetings "by hand". You have to purchase the cards (or make them yourself), hand write season's sentiments, address the envelopes, purchase and apply the stamps and mail them in time for Christmas.

And I for one, appreciate the fact that old friends and colleagues make the effort. It places value behind the words. The effort underscores the sentiment.

You simply can't accomplish sincerity with a mail merge.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: