Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tech Advice from MSNBC?

I was reading an MSNBC article today called 7 Steps to better e-mail management and came to the conclusion that MSNBC had run out of Tech News..

Here's the summary.

1. If you're a business it's better to use your own domain name rather than a free email service.
2. Learn how to use your email client.
3. Quickly act upon incoming email so your inbox doesn't fill up.
4. Use folders
5. Use filters & rules
6. Be secure
7. Backup your email

Did you find these tips insightful? Neither did I.

In fact I disagree with a couple of these suggestions. I never put email at the top of my priority list, (rush to read all current mail) nor do I use folders. I tend to keep everything in my inbox (except junk) and use Google Desktop search if I need to quickly find anything. For me, it works far more efficiently than maintaining a discipline of folders.

But along the same lines as the above listed suggestions, here are a few more lame ones:

8. Stop "cc"ing yourself on every email you send. They're already in your Sent folder.
9. Stop using the "Reply to All" button when responding to emails. No one cares.
10. If you are about to reply for a second time on the same email exchange, stop. Pick up the damn phone.

Class dismissed.

No comments: