Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Where's the News?

Is it me or are mainstream TV media ignorant of the Internet and its effects upon them?

I've been noticing newscasters trying to use Web 2.0 buzzwords with the same comfort as George Bush, when he talks about "the Internets". Over the past year, Jack Cafferty has learned to use email, which he now reads to us in "The Situation Room". And don't get me started on the internet polling that almost every show does (Lou Dobbs, I'm talking especially to you).

A few days ago, about 24 hours after the "I Have a Crush on Obama" viral video was making the rounds, some reporter was interviewing the creators and announced with awe that more than a million people had viewed the video.

The creators corrected the intrepid reporter and told her that there were more than 30 video sites on the Web - not just YouTube, (where it had been seen more than a million times). So in fact she was under reporting its impact significantly.

More and more, news shows are showing YouTube video clips. CNN has begun the I-report, where viewers can upload their local stories. It seems to me that CNN and others have delegated the responsibility for accurate, investigative reporting and replaced it with commenting on the reporting.

Isn't that what bloggers do?

So my question is: Next year, where will we tune for current, original, accurate, source-checked news content? Lonelygirl15 or CNNs Baghdad Bureau chief?

Since it takes mainstream news outlets at least 24 hours to report on items of interest on the Web, I'm betting on Lonelygirl.

No comments: