Friday, February 01, 2008

Pretending to Solve a Problem I Don't Have


Yesterday I received an email from McAfee, offerring me a FREE auto-renewal of my PC Security subscription.

Their pitch was "Too bad everything couldn't be renewed automatically!"

For THEM, maybe.

They went on to say that auto-renewal eliminated the risk that I would go one day without having my PC protected.

Excuse me, but I really don't see what's in it for me. Auto-renewal is designed to help one person. YOU.

Today, when my subscription is about due, you already remind me by email. If I don't respond, you remind me again. At some point in the process, if I don't want to do business with you, the service simply lapses.

Each year I get to assess whether your service is a good one or not. Each year I get to decide whether you've earned my loyalty for another year. And for me, the renewal process is quick and easy.

Obviously you're counting on subscribers to forget about their renewal subscriptions. You're addressing a problem YOU have - non renewing customers. And what if my auto-renewal takes place and I decide I don't want the service?

Are you going to give me a pro-rated refund?

Not likely.

So stop with the transparent pitch. Stop pretending to solve a problem I don't have. It's insulting.

Perhaps you might have tried this:

Make the pitch when my renewal is DUE, not before.

"Each year as your subscritpion renewal approaches, we remind you to renew. If you prefer to have your subscription continue automatically, we are pleased to offer a NEW auto-renew plan for you.

Under the NEW plan we'll automatically process your renewal on your credit card and will send you an email acknowledgement. If you choose this option, you can even save on your annual subscription rate!

If at any time, you wish to cancel your subscription, we'll credit your card with a pro-rated (to the nearest month) refund. No questions asked.

If you wish to continue under the current renewal reminder plan, that's okay too. Either way, we appreciate your business and thank you for being a McAfee customer!"

Just a thought.

No comments: